What is a Session Key and how to generate it for using Breeze API?
A session key is a temporary key that is only used once, during one stretch of time, for encrypting and decrypting data. This is similar to One Time Passwords (OTP) that have to be generated once in the morning to login, and help in encrypting a communication session for each app separately. This key or token expires in 24 hours after generation or at midnight.
How can you generate your Session Key?
- Login with your ICICIdirect Account onhttps://api.icicidirect.com/apiuser/home and then navigate to ‘View Apps’ tab.
2. Click on ‘Login’ in front of the App name you want to generate the session key for:
3. You will be redirected to a new webpage. On this page click on the three dots on the upper right section of the screen, select “More tools option>>Developer tools”.
4. Select “Network tab” from the tabs appearing in the upper section and then “Payload tab” within Network tab on the section on the left side.
5. Now enter your credentials, generate OTP and login into your account
6. After successfully logging in, the following page will be visible on your screen. You can locate your session key here at two places:
1) As the end part of the URL in the address bar
2) In the API Session option, on the left side of the window.
After completing the above process, you have successfully generated the Session Key, which can be used to start using all features of Breeze API. Please note that session key is valid for 24hrs or before midnight, whichever is earlier. You will have to generate a new session key for the next trading day. Though registering an App is not required for every trading session, make sure the status of your App is active before you generate session key for it.
Congratulations, you can start coding your strategy on an IDE (Jupyter, Spyder etc.) now!
How to generate session key | Getting started with Breeze API ICICI Direct
ICICI Securities Ltd. (I-Sec). Registered office of I-Sec is at ICICI Securities Ltd. - ICICI Venture House, Appasaheb Marathe Marg, Prabhadevi, Mumbai - 400 025, India, Tel No : 022 - 6807 7100. I-Sec is a Member of National Stock Exchange of India Ltd (Member Code :07730), BSE Ltd (Member Code :103) and Member of Multi Commodity Exchange of India Ltd. (Member Code: 56250) and having SEBI registration no. INZ000183631. Name of the Compliance officer (broking): Ms. Mamta Shetty, Contact number: 022-40701022, E-mail address: email@example.com. Investments in securities markets are subject to market risks, read all the related documents carefully before investing. The contents herein above shall not be considered as an invitation or persuasion to trade or invest. I-Sec and affiliates accept no liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of any actions taken in reliance thereon. API facilities are offered to the clients as per the terms and condition to be agreed by the client. The securities quoted are exemplary and are not recommendatory. The contents herein above are solely for informational purpose and may not be used or considered as an offer document or solicitation of offer to buy or sell or subscribe for securities or other financial instruments or any other product. Investors should consult their financial advisers whether the product is suitable for them before taking any decision. The contents herein mentioned are solely for informational and educational purpose.