How to Find the Demat Account Number?
While you are allowed to open multiple Demat accounts, you should know the rules.
The depository system was introduced in India by the SEBI through the “Depository Act of 1996”. Since then, Indian investors have been mandated to open a Demat account to participate in the Indian stock market. Short for dematerialised, Demat is an account that holds market securities in electronic form. Depository Participants (DPs) like brokerage companies and banks provide Demat accounts.
How many Demat accounts can one have?
Investors can open multiple Demat accounts, but they need to link their PAN number to every Demat account they’ve opened. The PAN number enables Indian regulatory authorities to identify the investment assets linked to their owners, irrespective of the number of Demat accounts they own.
Three basic Rules for opening more than one Demat account
- Investors can open multiple Demat accounts, so long as the accounts are opened with different Depository Participants. You cannot open more than one Demat account with the same DP.
- You can open a second Demat account with the same DP, but with a different combination of account holders.
- Investors who need multiple Demat accounts can open them with different depository participants. So, if you want to open two Demat accounts, you need to open one account, each with two different DP. You can conveniently manage and track your multiple Demat accounts using demat account apps.
Additional Read: What is a Demat account, and how does one open a Demat account?
Advantages of opening multiple Demat accounts
- Multiple Demat accounts enable investors to segregate between short term and long-term investments easily.
- With multiple accounts, investors can gain access to varied features offered by different brokerage firms.
How to open a Demat account – the steps to follow
- You need to select and connect with DPs (banks or brokerage firms).
- You can apply to open an online account through the DPS website or visit the branch/office of the DP.
- You have to submit self-attested photocopies of your PAN card, ID and address proof documents (as per the documents mentioned in the Official Valid Documents or OVD list).
- If you choose the online account opening facility, you can opt for the Digilocker facility offered by the Government of India to fetch your documents or use your Aadhar number to complete the e-KYC process. You should keep your signature image handy to complete the process. Your bank account details can be verified by the penny drop facility by depositing Rs. 1 in your bank account. Otherwise, you can upload a copy of your cancelled cheque, bank statement or a copy of your bank passbook to verify your bank account details.
- The DP verifies the account opening form and your documents and then opens the Demat account.
Trading and investing in the stock markets have never been this easy. Reach out to professionals to learn more about how you can open a Demat account.
Additional Read: Features and benefits of a Demat Account
The Demat account number is a unique identification number that plays a crucial role in your stock market transactions. It is assigned to you when you open your Demat account and is used in ITR filing too. So, remember your account number and keep it handy to avoid errors or delays in carrying out important transactions and tasks.
Now that you know how to find it, you can make seamless transactions and grow your wealth to achieve your goals.
1. How can I know my 16 digit Demat account number?
You can find your Demat account number in your welcome letter in the case of CDSL. This will be a 16 digit numeric number. However, if your DP is registered under the NSDL, your Demat account number will be an alpha-numeric number starting with the letters ‘IN’ followed by 14 digits.
You can also find your 16 digit Demat account number under the transaction summary of your trading account.
2. How can I get a Demat account?
You can open a Demat account with a DP of your choice. In order to do so, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the DP’s website or its online branch.
- Submit the self-attested photocopies of your PAN card, address proofs, identity proofs, etc.
- Complete the e-KYC process.
- Link your bank account with your account.
- You will be sent an email confirmation along with your Demat account number once your account is open and active for transactions.
3. What is a Demat number?
The Demat account number is a 16 digit number similar to a bank account. The Demat account number is unique to every investor and account and is linked to every transaction made from your Demat and trading account. It plays a crucial role in stock market investing and is also used to e-verify your income tax return (ITR) through your Demat account.
ICICI Securities Ltd.( I-Sec). Registered office of I-Sec is at ICICI Securities Ltd. - ICICI Centre, H. T. Parekh Marg, Churchgate, Mumbai - 400020, India, Tel No : 022 - 2288 2460, 022 - 2288 2470. The contents herein above shall not be considered as an invitation or persuasion to trade or invest. Investments in securities market are subject to market risks, read all the related documents carefully before investing. I-Sec and affiliates accept no liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of any actions taken in reliance thereon. The contents are solely for informational and educational purpose.