How to Pick Stocks?
Stock market trade is a rapidly fluctuating sector of trade, which are affected by various market conditions. That makes it a high-risk business, a fact that was recognised in its earliest forms. Investors developed two different techniques for managing such risk. The development of charts and other indicators to predict market fluctuations was one of them. The other was analysing stocks performance over some time and choosing the ones which met the requirements of the investors in question. These two techniques have continued till modern times and are complementary to each other.
Understanding investment priorities
The first step in learning how to pick stocks is understanding one's investment priorities. That is usually done in the following steps:
- Investments are usually made with a reason behind them, i.e., the goal they are supposed to pay for if successful. This may include retirement or savings funds, capital towards more investment or mitigation of risk in other assets. Figuring out one's investment goal is the first step to understanding financial requirements.
- The next step to consider is how much capital one is willing to invest and how the level of risk of said investment one is willing to consider. That will dictate the sectors and types of stocks one will investigate as investment options. It is generally advised not to invest more than 2% of your total worth.
- The third step is to consider how diversified one wants to make one's investments. Diversification is a highly recommended strategy for both new and experienced investors as it helps mitigate potential loss.
Things to analyse while selecting stocks
Learning how to choose stocks means analysing stocks and features related to them to find the stores which meet one's investment criteria. Based on the financial priorities, you may be either an investment-oriented, wealth oriented or capital gain-oriented investor. Whatever be the case, the following steps are essentially the same for all three types of investors:
- The first is to implement various strategies to find the companies suitable to the financial criteria of the investors. These can be following market indices to gauge price fluctuations and only including stocks suited to your investments.
- Another strategy is to keep track of the latest market and financial news. While speculative, one must keep track of all financial records.
- Specific trends affect stocks across market segments. Identifying and investing in stocks that follow market trends can lead to better investments. This can include selecting blue chips – stocks from large companies with an excellent reputation and higher interests – may be one such strategy.
How To Pick Stocks For Long Term Investment | Stock Analysis @ICICIdirectOfficial
Understanding how to pick good stocks in the Indian market is an extensive process. Investors must first investigate their requirements, and once they have arrived at a satisfactory conclusion, they must garner experience before attempting to trade in significant stocks. That can be done by first trading just a single stock or using a digital stock market simulator. Investors should trade in multiple stocks only once they are confident in their ability to trade just one stock or on a simulator. Stock market speculation can lead to financial ruin if conducted irresponsibly and it is better to be cautious while trading in the stock market.
ICICI Securities Ltd. ( I-Sec). Registered office of I-Sec is at ICICI Securities Ltd. - ICICI Centre, H. T. Parekh Marg, Churchgate, Mumbai - 400020, India, Tel No : 022 - 2288 2460, 022 - 2288 2470. The contents herein above shall not be considered as an invitation or persuasion to trade or invest. I-Sec and affiliates accept no liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of any actions taken in reliance thereon. The contents herein above are solely for informational purpose and may not be used or considered as an offer document or solicitation of offer to buy or sell or subscribe for securities or other financial instruments or any other product. Investments in securities market are subject to market risks, read all the related documents carefully before investing. The contents herein mentioned are solely for informational and educational purpose.