loader2
Partner With Us

Tax Benefit On National Pension Scheme

Regulated by the PFRDA, the National Pension System is a scheme that allows you to invest small amounts throughout your working life and reap its benefits when you retire. NPS is a unique market-linked scheme that also provides excellent tax savings.

You can withdraw 60% of your corpus amount upon retirement, while the remaining 40% must be invested in an annuity that will give you a regular monthly pension.

You can use NPS to invest across multiple asset classes, including equity, corporate debt, government bonds and alternative investment funds.

Investors can choose the Active choice if they wish to control the portfolio allocation between the four asset classes, or they can choose Auto choice, which automatically controls the portfolio allocation based on the investor’s age.

Invest in the National Pension Scheme [NPS] launched by the Government of India to benefit from earning a lifelong monthly pension during your retirement. With tax saving benefits, start to build your retirement corpus through ICICIdirect with NPS today.

Types of NPS accounts

There are two types of NPS accounts.

The NPS Tier I account is the main account, which helps you build a retirement corpus. Tier II is a voluntary savings account.

The Tier I account offers many tax benefits, while the Tier II account offers no tax benefits.

Your investments in Tier I are locked-in till age 60. You can make partial withdrawals for specific purposes.

You can open a Tier II account only if you have a Tier I account. You can withdraw the funds in the Tier II account at any time.

Tier I NPS benefits you cannot ignore

Pay less buy more

Helps you build a good corpus foryour retirement

Cashless trading

Easily portable across jobs andlocations all over India

Convert to delivery

Choice of asset classes and flexibilityin portfolio allocation

Convert to delivery

Market linkedreturns

Convert to delivery

Partial withdrawals of up to 25% on Tier I accounts, after three investment years for specific expenses like buying a home, paying for medical expenses, children's education or wedding expenses

Convert to delivery

Tax benefits on investmentsup to Rs. 2 lakh a year.

Tax Benefits of NPS

As per Union Budget 2019, NPS now qualifies for EEE tax exemption status.The entire 60% withdrawable amount on maturity is exempt from tax.

NPS tax benefits under Sections 80C of the IT Act.

As an NPS subscriber, you can claim tax exemptions on investments up to Rs. 150,000 under Section 80C of the IT Act.

NPS tax benefits under Section 80CCD(1B).

As a Tier I account holder, you get additional tax benefits of up to Rs. 50,000 under Section 80CCD(1). This benefit is extended over and above the deduction permitted under Section 80C, increasing your total income deduction to Rs. 200,000 per annum.If you belong to the highest tax slab of 30 per cent, you can save up to Rs. 62,400 by investing in NPS.

Open an Account

Sign Up for Free

+91

Please use the mobile no registered with Aadhaar.

OTP sent to +91 1234567890

Didn’t received OTP? Resend

00:30

iciciDirect-money-logo
iciciDirectMoney-App

Get Research Backed Recommendations.

Download The app now

or Scan below QR Code To download app

QRcode